CEEQUAL is the assessment and awards scheme for improving sustainability in civil engineering and the public realm. It aims to deliver improved project specification, design and construction and to demonstrate the commitment of the civil engineering industry to environmental quality and social performance.
The Scheme rigorously assesses performance across 12 areas of environmental and social concern. It rewards project and contract teams in which clients, designers and constructors go beyond the legal and environmental minima to achieve distinctive environmental and social standards.
Assessments must be carried out by a trained and certified Assessor.
E4environment's in-house CEEQUAL Assessor can carry out the assessment for you. As a trained verifier they can also bring experience of what the verifier will also be looking for to add value to the CEEQUAL assessment process.
The role of the Assessor is to be integrated as much as possible into the project team, but can also act to coordinate and upload evidence onto CEEQUAL's on-line portal to ensure that the project is ready for Verification.
The CEEQUAL Assessment and Award Process
CEEQUAL assesses the extent to which the project exceeds the minimum standards required by law, and assigns a rating accordingly:
- Exceeded by >25% - Pass
- Exceeded by >40% - Good
- Exceeded by >60% - Very Good
- Exceeded by >75% - Excellent
There are five types of CEEQUAL Award available, depending on which members of the project team wish to participate in the Award application:
- Whole Project Award: normally applied for jointly by or on behalf of the client, designer and principal contractor(s).
- Client & Design Award: awarded at the design stage; also available as Interim Award, which can be verified after some or all of the design is completed, before going on to apply for a Whole Project Award.
- Design Award: applied for by the principal designer(s) only.
- Construction Award: applied for by the principal contractor(s).
- Design & Build Award: specifically for Design and Build and other partnership contracts.
After a project is registered for a CEEQUAL assessment, CEEQUAL assigns an independent Verifier who will work with the CEEQUAL Assessor to agree which of the CEEQUAL questions are relevant to the specific project. The questions are grouped into a number of categories, each carrying a predefined score weighting:
- 1. Project Management
- 2. Land Use
- 3. Landscape
- 4. Ecology & Biodiversity
- 5. The Historic Environment
- 6. Water resources and the Water Environment
- 7. Energy and Carbon
- 8. Material Use
- 9. Waste Management
- 10. Transport
- 11. Effects on Neighbours
- 12. Relations with the Local Community and other Stakeholders
To discuss how CEEQUAL could add value to your specific project and the steps to take towards achieving an Award, please call 01743 343403 or email Deb Cairns at email@example.com